By Betty Lou Leaver
Geared toward commencing to intermediate undergraduates and above, this textbook is designed to assist the scholar in attaining optimum luck as a language learner and consumer. It teaches scholars to appreciate their very own personal tastes in studying, advance person studying plans and ways, and choose applicable studying recommendations. every one bankruptcy includes an outline and evaluation part, with studying actions that scholars can perform both separately or in school rooms.
Read or Download Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition PDF
Similar study & teaching books
In state-of-the-art city faculties, a brand new method of educating math and technology is being built. lecturers are studying that through tending to scholars' social and emotional health, they've got higher luck instructing. Edited via a stellar crew, together with either psychologists and lecturers, this very important source stocks confirmed techniques for bettering educational functionality between tuition age youngsters similar to: Discussions of the influence of "tracking" in colleges at the scholars; the actual wishes of minority scholars; getting ready scholars for a know-how pushed global within the lecture room; the hot findings of the 3rd foreign Math and technological know-how research
This booklet offers the main complete learn thus far of the start line of moment language acquisition. With its concentrate on the language enter that newcomers obtain and what they do with this enter, the examine sheds gentle on questions nonetheless unanswered in moment language acquisition literature, corresponding to what wisdom is dropped at the purchase approach and the way rookies use this information to approach new linguistic info.
The Graphs and types sequence by means of Bittinger, Beecher, Ellenbogen, and Penna is understood for aiding scholars “see the mathematics” via its concentrate on visualization and expertise. those books proceed to take care of the good points that experience helped scholars be triumphant for years: specialize in features, visible emphasis, side-by-side algebraic and graphical options, and real-data functions.
- Math Wars: A Guide for Parents and Teachers
- Welsh in Three Months (Hugo)
- In the Analyst’s Consulting Room
- Teaching the Common Core Math Standards with Hands-On Activities, Grades 6-8
- An A-Z of applied linguistics research methods
Additional info for Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition
If your accent is strong, people will get tired of listening to you, and if they speak English themselves, they may switch to English, depriving you of speaking practice in your language. Develop a more native-like accent. It may take a lot of time in a language lab, working with a native speaker, and comparing your taped speech to that of a native speaker, among a host of other strategies. The time, however, will be very well invested. In working on accent reduction, our suggestion is to start with trying to produce intonation that is close to native-speaker patterns.
Independent learning will also be critical. In other words, planning for lifelong learning is like making a strategic plan for the language portion of your life. While many people do not bother to do this, among language learners who reached near-native levels of foreign-language proficiency, a significant percentage did, if not formally, then informally (Leaver, 2003a, 2003b). The first stage of the typical student’s language learning endeavors usually, but not always, takes place in the classroom.
3) Sam can prepare in advance for class. If he knows, for example, that educational systems will be an upcoming topic, he can become acquainted with much of the vocabulary and grammar in advance through reading ahead in the textbook or finding authentic written materials on the topic. (4) Some students have found that if they work on improving their pronunciation, their listening skills improve correspondingly. 2 automatically. Pay special attention to sounds that do not exist in your language (such as the flap sound that sounds like a little of both /l/ and /r/ in Japanese or the yerih sound in Russian), as well as those sounds which are similar to your language but made in a different way (such as long vowels in Czech and long consonants in Arabic).
Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition by Betty Lou Leaver